Monday, September 8, 2014

The Joy of Teaching...

"To Teach the Journey in Comics" by William Ayers is a thought-provoking graphic novel about the trials and triumphs of teaching, and ultimately learning to be a better teacher. Ayers is open about his approach to teaching and the obstacles that he has faced. On page 1, Ayers begins his story by saying " for those of us who construct our lives in teaching, these images are necessarily changing and growing, and while they are sometimes vivid and concrete, they can as often be characterized by wonder. In either case, images of teaching can fill us with awe..." I have found that images of teaching certainly do fill me with awe. As I enter my fifth year of teaching, the joy that I feel when my students walk into my room is still very much present. I love the image of "constructing our lives in teaching." My students and their many games, activities, plays, and clubs are what do construct a lot of my life. I am fortunate that I am able to be present to them in a lot of ways. I think that constructing our lives in learning is a beautiful image. This is more or less what happens, but to think about the pieces that fit together to construct our lives in learning paints a very unique picture.


On page 2, Ayers writes " I began to wonder if I might more honestly and more joyfully think of myself as an explorer on a journey with my students, a voyage of discovery and surprise." When I started teaching Religion I had the mindset that I was supposed to know all the answers to the 'hard' questions that the kids would ask to try and trip me up as a new teacher. I quickly learned that if I took that approach to teaching that I would be easily frustrated and burnt out. I found that learning the information alongside my students is much more fulfilling than preaching to them about 'what I know.' The reality is that I am an explorer on a faith journey, and I am trying to guide my students to be explorers of their own faith journey's, so why would I not walk with them? The same would be true if I were teaching English. I would want to make meaning of literature together, and to find our voices in our writing. There is a great image of this on page 5:


In the middle of page 26, Ayers says "A commitment to the visibility of students as persons requires a radical reversal..." The beauty of the teachers that are reading this blog and this book are that they already know this. The classroom is not the stage. There is no need to perform on it everyday and be the center of attention. I wish more teachers would step out of the spotlight to see their students as human beings. They are not a faceless audience, and teachers would be able to see that if they stepped out of the spotlight. Our students are facing real world situations and to simply see them as just 'kids' would be to do them a huge disservice.

At the end of page 32 Ayers writes, "Life in classrooms, after all, is life itself. The learning environment is a complex, living reflection of a teacher's values." The statement is especially important to me because I hope that this is what my students feel when they are in my classroom. I try to make my classroom reflect the things that I value...voice, opinion, choice, compassion, and the individual. It is my hope that students feel that they are truly valued as individuals when they are in my class and when they are out of my class. This is further enforced on page 58,

Ayers is speaking my language, and exactly how I feel about being a teacher, and learner in my own classroom. On page 58 when speaking about Avi's classroom he says, "Avi's classroom functions as a forum where everyone learns to speak with the possibility of being heard and listen with the possibility of being changed. In this way, kids learn to see themselves and one another beyond categories or cliques, beyond labels of any kind." Yes! This is exactly what I hope to accomplish by having students check in, and be heard. It allows everyone time to speak, and for them to maybe uncover some things that would break down walls in our classroom.
I love this book, and can't wait to write more about it.

6 comments:

  1. Why? Did my comment just disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayers does seem to be speaking our language. I feel like I could have written this piece (though not as eloquently). One visibility of children and role reversal I would agree that we (teacher in general) do tend to perform an awful lot more than we probably should. Interestingly, the chapter from The Energy to Teach by Donald Graves that was assigned to use this week made me reflect on those things that take my energy vs those things that give me energy. I have to say that it is much easier to prepare and deliver lectures and notes than it is to prepare a good inquiry lesson or project based unit plan. However, the return on investment is dramatically greater when I see my kids deeply involved in their learning as opposed to being on autopilot while taking or copying lecture notes.

    Thanks for sharing.

    PS. The first time I posted to you it disappeared ... in the middle of the second attempt the internet failed ... I sweating it out here as I click the publish button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is what I said: Allie, I love that you envision teaching as a "journey," I think this is a great way to think about what we do as teachers. I'm attaching a quote that I think you (along with everyone else in class) will really appreciate. It was actually posted in the copy room of my school! It was great to find a little piece of something positive and uplifting :)

    “Our great mistake in education is, as it seems to me, the worship of book-learning–the confusion of instruction and education. We strain the memory instead of cultivating the mind. The children in our elementary schools are wearied by the mechanical act of writing, and the interminable intricacies of spelling; they are oppressed by columns of dates, by lists of kings and places, which convey no definite idea to their minds, and have no near relation to their daily wants and occupations; while in our public schools the same unfortunate results are produced by the weary monotony of Latin and Greek grammar. We ought to follow exactly the opposite course with children–to give them a wholesome variety of mental food, and endeavor to cultivate their tastes, rather than to fill their minds with dry facts. The important thing is not so much that every child should be taught, as that every child should be given the wish to learn. What does it matter if the pupil know a little more or a little less? A boy who leaves school knowing much, but hating his lessons, will soon have forgotten almost all he ever learned; while another who had acquired a thirst for knowledge, even if he had learned little, would soon teach himself more than the first ever knew.”
    ― John Lubbock, The Pleasures of Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allie,
    I loved reading your blog this week! I too feel that joy when my students walk into my classroom. I am always encouraged when I hear other teachers are as well. I also agree with you on creating a classroom where kids feel safe enough to be themselves, a place where everyone is respected. Sometimes I am blown away at the the wisdom and depth that you already posses as a young teacher. Your students are so very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allie, Your joy for teaching is apparent, and I know that the warmth and passion and excitement that you show must be felt by all of your students! I took two of Ayer's quotes in incorporated them into my own classroom rules, and like you, I was touched by what Avi did with his international students. I tried to paraphrase Ayers in writing, "Everyone has a voice; listen while others are speaking." This book spoke to me as it did to you, and I couldn't help but feel uplifted after reading the first 5 chapters. I feel the same way after reading your heartfelt blog: inspired. Thank you! Thank you, Brittany, for the great quote too!

    ReplyDelete