Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Round and round the wheel we go...

In his book, Allan Johnson discusses the issues that surround us as a society regarding race, class, sex, age and other prejudices. He states that in order for society to rectify the issues that plague us we need to recognize that they do in fact exist. This is the crucial first step in working toward change. If we are stuck in the mindset that racism is no longer prevalent in society because slavery no longer exists in our country then we are stuck in a place where there is no room for change or growth.  Johnson writes about different types of privileges that we have simply because of our state of being. He gives numerous examples of this and how we can see it happening in our society on a daily basis. Things such as whites not beings arrested as often as people different races, and even if they are arrested, often not convicted when brought to trial.

I would argue that Johnson's main point for his book surrounds working toward recognizing inequalities that maybe we would not recognize normally because we are so used to seeing them. I am not sure if Johnson's repetitiveness in stating that he is a heterosexual white privileged male was meant to make me feel uncomfortable or not, but after awhile it did. I am not used to directly labeling myself and others in that way...or maybe I do but do not state it out loud and in context of conversations. Maybe that was his point...to have us recognize that we do label like this all the time, just quietly or to ourselves and to make us uncomfortable with that notion. 

I spent some time talking with my students about racism in society today. I asked them if they thought it was the most prevalent prejudice that we are facing today, or if it was something else. Some of them said that racism was still a huge prejudice today, and others interestingly enough said that they are not racist at all, but then followed up their thoughts with a stereotype of a certain race. One of my students said it well when he said, "issues of race are not black and white anymore, but really shades of gray". I thought this was interesting, so I had him explain his thoughts. He went on to talk about how so many jokes and slang revolve around racist comments that they are not seen as very offensive anymore, as just jokes...but that deep down at the heart of it he knows that they are wrong. 

I loved when Johnson said "It doesn't seem unreasonable to imagine a school or workplace, for example, where all kinds of people feel comfortable showing up, secure in the knowledge that they have a place they don't have to defend every time they turn around, where they're encouraged to do their best, and valued for it."(7) This is the type of classroom environment that I try and create in my classroom. A place where every student has a voice, and is not afraid to let their voice be heard and not afraid to make a mistake. He is rights, it does not seem unreasonable...so then why does it seem so hard for society as a whole to get this right? It just brings me back to the Golden Rule. Religious or not, treating people the way you want to be treated can translate in every language, culture, and way of life. 

" A trouble we can't talk about is a trouble we can't do anything about"(13) Johnson is right, but if we do not have difficult conversations with the students in front of us, and their parents are not having them either, then who is? I understand all about curriculum and standards, and test scores, and that is all great, but if we do not have conversations with our students about real life, and the real world and their actions in it, then how can we expect them to live in it properly. I think sometimes it is assumed that parents are playing a bigger role in the lives of their kids than they actually are. Difficult conversations are just as relevant as difficult math problems. 

"Privilege has become one of those loaded words we need to reclaim so that we can use it to name and illuminate the truth".(23) Johnson is right when he writes about privilege being a word that we shy away from because we are afraid to sound exclusive. Being entitled to something has gives a certain level of prestige or power. Also, words that sometimes are used in a negative light or way. 

I struggle with labels, even though I know they are a very real part of life. Just because I am a white woman does not mean that my life has been full of these great entitlements and privileges. But, not recognizing that they are there would be ignorance. 



3 comments:

  1. You took the time to do exactly what Johnson suggested which was to have a unpleasant conversation as it relates to diversity. I feel it is important to treat each other the same and I also try to make sure that my classroom is welcoming where everyone has a voice. After I read the book, I started questioning my motives throughout the day. Johnson also made me feel uncomfortable right from the start. As soon as he started using the word "privilege" and connected with my "inner circle", I immediately felt uneasy. I would agree him that these types of conversations are painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allie! I totally agree that Johnson continually pointed out his being a white heterosexual male...I was glad it have us a sense of perspective as to who he is as an author, but I agree, enough was enough! I was not so uncomfortable as annoyed after about his fourth mention of it. I also agree that it seemed as though his main point was for us as a society to realize what biases/ background we bring to it in order to adequately deal with racism, sexism, and sexual discrimination. Good for you for already talking to your students about this stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to see you take this to your students in week one. Discomfort. Such an important word in this conversation. I appreciate the way you struggle with it!

    ReplyDelete